I had tried this with chicken wings. Ideally best with whole chicken parts cut into small pieces. It uses a good amount of onions and tomatoes. Lets look at the recipe
1 kg chicken - cut into small pieces
4-5 big onions - sliced finely
4-5 big tomatoes- chopped.
4-5 green chillies - finely chopped
3-4 sprigs of curry leaves - sliced into half
2tbs of ginger garlic paste
2tsp of fennel seeds
1tsp of cumin seeds
2tsp of turmeric powder
3tsp of black pepper powder
2tsp of fennel powder
2tsp of coriander powder
1tsp of cumin powder
juice of 1 lime
salt to taste
coriander stalks - chopped coarsely
1. In a bowl, add the chicken with some salt, turmeric and 1tsp of black pepper powder and lime juice. Mix well and marinate for about 10-15mins while preparing the rest.
2. Heat oil in a wok.
3. Once heat, add in both fennel and cumin seeds. Once splutter, add in onions and sauté till soft.
4. Once soft add in green chillies, curry leaves and stir well for a few seconds.
5. Add in chopped tomatoes, ginger garlic paste and mix well. Cover wok for a few minutes.
6. Add in the rest of powders with tomato and onion mixture. mix well and let it cover till the oil separates. Add in little water if they mixture tend to stick. Keep stirring.
7. Add in the chicken pieces, a bit of water, if require, stir to mix and cover the wok. Keep stirring till well mix and add salt to taste, if required.
8. Remove from fire once chicken is done. Add lime juice and chopped coriander leaves. If desired you can also top it with some light crushed black pepper.
9. Enjoy with warm rice or bread.