I made this to accompany with Takkali Sadam @ Tomato Rice. This chicken masala has a little sour taste from the yogurt. Another easy going dish.
What you need:
500gm of chicken - cut to bite size
170gm of tairu (yogurt)
2 big onions - sliced
1tbs ginger/garlic paste
1 tomato - cut into wedges
1-2 green chillies (depending on how spicy you want the gravy)
2 tbs of chicken masala
1 tsp of tumeric
2 small cinnamon
1 tsp of fennel seeds
1 tsp of cumin seeds
1 bay leaf
a few sprigs of curry leaves
a few sprigs of mint leaves - optional
How to do:
- In a bowl, marinate chicken with yogurt, ginger/garlic paste, tomato, tumeric and green chilly for 30 mins.
- In a wok/pan, heat oil and saute cinnamon, cardamons, aniseed, cloves, bay leaf, fennel and cumin seeds for a few minutes.
- Add in onions (about 3/4) and saute further till soft. Add in curry leaves.
- Add in chicken, mix well and cover to cook. Stir occasionally and add water if needed.
- When the chicken is tender, add in the chicken masala, stir well, salt to taste. Add in the remaining onions and mint leaves. Stir well and cook for a few more minutes. Remove from heat and serve hot.