It's an excellent dish with thosei (dosa), idlis and chapatis......
What you need:
5- 6 ripe tomatoes
2 big onions
1 red chilly
1 -2 dry chilly
/2 tsp of tumeric powder
1 tsp of mustard seeds
1 tsp of urad dhall
a sprig of curry leaves
salt to taste
How to do:
- Chopped the tomatoes and onions. Slice ginger and garlic.
- Cut the dry chillies in small pieces.
- Slit and remove the seeds of the red chilly.
- Heat coconut oil on a pan. Once it is hot, add in the mustard and urad dhall.
- When it starts to crackle, saute the onions till they are soft.
- Add in the chillies and curry leaves and saute for a few more minutes
- Lastly add in the chopped tomatoes,tumeric and salt, mix well and cover the pan.
- By covering the pan, more water will come out from the tomatoes. Keep stirring to avoid the tomotoes from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- You can add water if the mixture is dry.
- Once the tomatoes are soft and cooked, remove from the heat. Let it cool for a short while and then blend to a fine puree.
- Ready to serve....